Article by Jo Harvey, Sport and Wellbeing
Making some simple changes to your diet can add up to a big difference in your health and wellbeing. Try the following suggestions to improve the quality of your nutrition and trim the fat!!
TRY TO LIMIT YOUR INTAKE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Butter, margarine and any other solid spreading fats
- Deep-fried foods
- Fatty meats and processed meat products e.g sausages, burgers
- Pastry dishes
- Cakes, biscuits and puddings
These foods are high in saturated fats but relatively low in other essential nutrients
TRY MAKING THE FOLLOWING SUBSTITUTIONS:
- Semi-skimmed or skimmed milk instead of full fat.
- Low-fat spread or peanut butter instead of butter or margarine.
- Low-fat cheese e.g cottage cheese
- Jacket or boiled potatoes instead of chips
- Chicken, fish or lean meat instead of fatty meat, burgers and sausages.
- Crackers, rice cakes or fruit bars instead of biscuits and cakes.
- Fresh fruit instead of chocolate.
These foods provide some fat together with other essential nutrients.
TRY MAKING THE FOLLOWING CHANGES
- Limit frying to stir frying with Fry Light spray
- Top baked potatoes with fromage frais, yoghurt or baked beans.
- Remove skin from chicken or turkey
- Grill, bake, stir-fry or boil instead of frying
- Make low-fat salad dressings with flavoured vinegar, yoghurt seasoned with herbs, lemon or lime juice
- Choose lean cuts of meat and trim off as much as possible
These will reduce your fat intake while supplying other essential nutrients