This is a quick dish, which utilized the microwave to cook the squash. If you have the time, you can also bake the squash at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. If you aren’t a fan of acorn squash or want a lower carbohydrate meal, try using 2 large red bell peppers instead. Simply microwave the pepper halves for 90 seconds, without using any additional water. Variation: try adding walnuts or pecans in step 2 if you like.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 1 pound skinless chicken breast, cubed
- ½ pear, chopped
- 6 white mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ tsp each: salt, cinnamon, allspice, dried sage
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 acorn squash (about a pound each)
- Heat oil in a skillet and add onion and chicken breast. Cook over medium, stirring every few minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the pear, mushrooms, spices and pepper. Cover the skillet with a lid and turn heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes, then turn off heat.
- Meanwhile, cut the squash in half and scrape out the seeds. Place squash cut side down in a glass dish with ½” of water and microwave until tender. (Microwave ovens vary, but try 4 minutes if you’re doing 2 halves at a time, 7-8 minutes if doing all 4 halves at once. When squash is cooked, fill with stuffing mixture.
- 231 calories
- 3g total fat
- 0g saturated fat
- 26g total carbohydrate
- 4g dietary fiber
- 26g protein
Have you tried this recipe?:
let us know in the comments what you think