This recipe can be made with either parsley or basil, but if you’ve got both herbs handy, use both. If you enjoy its briny flavor, a teaspoon of anchovy paste stirred into the sauce along with the herbs is an amazing addition to this recipe.
- 1 can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/3 cup minced herbs (parsley, basil, or a combination of the two)
- 1 pound cleaned calamari, tubes and tentacles
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (plus additional, if needed)
- Salt, pepper
- (1 teaspoon anchovy paste, optional)
- (Red pepper flakes, optional)
- Place diced tomatoes in a saucepan with chopped plum tomato, garlic, and onion over medium heat. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in herbs (and add anchovy paste, if using.)
- Slice calamari tubes into 1/3-inch-wide rings. Add calamari to saucepan, raise heat to bring to a boil, and cook 8 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Stir in tomato paste (add extra as needed) to thicken. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. Serve over cooked pasta or shirataki noodles.
- 150 calories
- 2g total fat
- 0g saturated fat
- 13g total carbohydrate
- 2g dietary fiber
- 9g protein