This recipe works perfectly with ground beef or with vegetarian frozen crumbles. I love it both ways.
Makes 3 large servings (2 halves each)
- 3 large poblano peppers
- 1¼ cups fat free canned refried beans
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (or 12 oz vegetarian crumbles)
- ½ cup salsa (hot, medium or mild)
- ¾ cup shredded low fat mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 13″ baking dish with foil.
- Cut around the stem of the peppers and remove. Cut peppers in half, removing the seeds and inner membranes. Place halves cut side up in baking dish. Spread 3 tablespoons of refried beans in each pepper half.
- In a large pan, brown meat until fully cooked, breaking up any chunks with a wooden spoon. (If using vegetarian crumbles, just cook until warm). Stir in salsa and turn off heat. Divide meat mixture among pepper halves, and place in baking dish. Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Place one slice of avocado on each pepper half and top with ½ ounce shredded cheese. Return to oven for 2-3 minutes to melt cheese.
- 368 calories
- 10g total fat
- 5g saturated fat
- 24g total carbohydrate
- 8g dietary fiber
- 45g protein
Have you tried this recipe?:
let us know in the comments what you think