Lean protein, complex carbohydrates and fiber make this a great sauce to pair with any vegetable and have an easy, complete meal. You can also make big batches of this sauce to freeze in containers and pull out on busy days when you want the convenience of not having to cook.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (96%)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 oz) can kidney or white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Optional: 2 handfuls baby spinach
- Place oil in a large skillet and add onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the beef and cook, breaking up meat with a spatula, until meat is browned.
- Stir in tomato paste, water, kidney beans and oregano, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add baby spinach (if using) and salt to taste.
- 288 calories
- 6g total fat
- 2g saturated fat
- 28g total carbohydrate
- 9g dietary fiber
- 32g protein